Friday, January 14, 2011

Mile High Enchilada Pie

5-8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1 jar (12 oz) prepared salsa
1 can corn, drained (or frozen corn)*
1 cup shredded cooked chicken (I actually used turkey)
1 cup shredded cheese

Slow cooker directions
Prepare foil handles for slow cooker (see below); place in slow cooker. Place 1 tortilla on bottom of slow cooker. Top with small amount of salsa, corn, chicken & cheese. (I found that mixing the salsa and chicken together first worked well - reserve some salsa for the top). Continue layering using remaining ingredients, ending with only salsa and cheese on the top tortilla. 7 seemed to be the magic number of tortillas for me for using all the ingredients. Cover; cook on low 6 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours. Pull out by foil handles. Garnish with fresh cilantro and slice of red pepper if desired.

For freezing, I made the foil handles by folding pieces of aluminum foil in thirds and placed them on a piece of wax paper. Then I assembled the tower and carefully moved it to a pan in the freezer. I let it flash freeze for an hour or so before I took it out and completely wrapped the pie in foil.

For Serving Day, remove outer foil and wax paper. Leave inner foil handles and place in crock pot. Cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on High for 3-4 hours. Pull out by foil handles.

*(The original recipe called for kidney beans instead of corn. The first time I made this recipe I just omitted the beans and served corn on the side. We ended up mixing the corn with the pie so I decided to substitute corn in the recipe for the beans. I think olives might also be a nice touch but I haven't tried that.)

1 comment:

Jenny :) said...

This is a fun meal but a bit small. (Sorry about that, ladies.) Definitely plan to add a few sides (salad, rice, etc.) to fill out the meal. In the future, I may try making it with larger tortillas.